root password setting unoffered at install

John Toliver john.toliver at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 12:34:32 UTC 2007

I know almost nothing about Linux and perhaps almost as little about Linux.
 I finally got up the courage to install 7.04(I want to give gutsy a chance
to breathe before I adopt)
and what I did wa ssimply change the root password to one of my own.
I think as the default user you can login
and access "users and groups" which is where you specify a new
password for all users including root..
I hope this answers your question.
On 11/5/07, Pete Clapham <w.clapham at csuohio.edu> wrote:

> Actually, setting up the root password is very easy.  type *sudo passwd
> root*.  It will ask you for the password.  That's all there is to it.
>
> Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>
> Kent Paul Dolan wrote:
>
> I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 (64 bit desktop version), and I was not offered a chance to set the root password during the install. Did I miss something, or is the default password for root published somewhere? I'm quite nervous about the default being left in place, so any help would be appreciated.
>
> No need to become nervous. There is no default password but root login is  disabled by default. See <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo> for  more details.
>
> I have not figured out how to use vmware server's remote console without having  a root password enabled on the host machine.  Any suggestions?
>

> --  Pete Clapham Department of Biological, Geological, and Environmental Sciences Cleveland State University Cleveland, Ohio, 44115  Voice:  [216] 687-4820 Fax:  [216] 687-6972 w.clapham at csuohio.edu

Patience yields far greater results than brute force or rage ever could so
relax......it's just life !!!