Setting MPlayer to handle WMV files in Firefox

Jonathan Kaye jdkaye10 at yahoo.es
Mon Nov 5 08:26:08 UTC 2007

Daniel George Pevny wrote:

> Does anyone here know how to set the firefox MPlayer plugin for wmv
> files? In the file types menu, I'm only given the "Windows Media Player
> Plugin" option, which hasn't benefited me for wwe.com nor cnbc.com.
> Thanks in advanced!
Hi Daniel,
You need to type in "about:plugins" (without the quotes) in the navigation
bar of FF. If you have correctly installed the Windows Media Player Plugin
you should see it listed along with the supported filetypes including .wmv
The plugin uses the file mplayerplug-in-wmp.so which can be placed in your
~/.mozilla/plugins folder if you are the only user on your machine. It can
be placed in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins for system-wide use. You can find the
plugin here
http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/
Cheers,
Jonathan
Please do not send me copies of list mail. I read the lists. Thanks!