root password setting unoffered at install

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sun Nov 4 18:05:52 UTC 2007

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 17:47:49 +0000
bill purvis <bil at beeb.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 04 November 2007, Peter Garrett wrote:
> > On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 18:28:19 +0100
> >
> > Gilles Gravier <Gilles at Gravier.org> wrote:
> > > Simplistic in the sense that by default, your administrative user has
> > > ALL THE ADMINISTRATIVE RIGHTS.
> > >
> > > In Ubuntu by default there the administrative roles (create users,
> > > populate home directories, manage network, change peripherals, change
> > > users passwords, and so many more) are simplistically merged into ONE
> > > SINGLE ADMINISTRATIVE user.
> >
> > How is this more simplistic than having a single root user who by
> > definition has all administrative rights?
> >
> sudo is cleverer than that - read the documentation and see that you]
> can set up various groups of users with varying levels of privilege.

Bill, did you read my other posts to this thread? That is pretty much
exactly what I am saying. My question to Gilles was aimed at trying to
clarify what he meant. He has now done so, and I am in general agreement
with his points.

Or did you reply to the wrong person ?

Peter

l --
Unix is hard to learn. The process of learning it is one of multiple
small epiphanies. -- Neal Stephenson