Reg Expression

Mitch flik at barkingants.com
Sun Nov 4 15:59:27 UTC 2007

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Anthony Gardner wrote:

> maybe this will help you get started
>
> http://en.kerouac3001.com/regex-tutorial-8.htm
>
> A lot of languages implement Perl's regex model so if you know a litlle Perl, that could also be a good place to start.
>
> http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~jphb/perl/pod/perlretut.html
>
> Good luck.
>

> OOzy Pal <oozypal at gmail.com> wrote: Ahhh, I don't seem to understand reg exp. I googled but still could
> not understand it. Can someone point me to a good tutorial?

There's a good tutorial at: http://www.regular-expressions.info/

It takes you step by step through the basics and eventually moves on to
some advanced regex concepts. I also recommend the O'Reilly books
"Mastering Regular Expressions" by Friedl, and "Regular Expression
Pocket Reference" by Stubblebine. The latter is indespensible once you
start using regex.

In the end, don't forget this quote:

  "Some people, when confronted with a problem, think “I know, I'll use
regular expressions.” Now they have two problems."

Good luck.

--
Mitch