Feisty Meta physics

SIE kensou.sie.503 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 02:37:49 UTC 2007

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 21:05:12 +0100
Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 20:37 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > man iftab
>
> man iftab
> No manual entry for iftab

man iftab

NAME
       iftab - assign consistent names to network interfaces

DESCRIPTION
       The  file /etc/iftab contains descriptive information about the
various network interfaces and is used by udev(8) and  its
iftab_helper(8)  to assign consistent names to network interfaces.

       /etc/iftab  defines a set of mappings.  Each mapping contains an
inter‐ face name and a set of selectors which identify  the  physical
network device that should be assigned that name.

       If  a  network  device  matches  all  selectors of a mapping,
udev will rename the interface to the name given by the mapping.

       If a network device does not match all of the selectors,  but
has  the same  name  as  the  mapping, udev instead will rename the
interface so that it does not have the name given by the kernel.