End Dual Boot - Gutsy & Win2K

Owen Townend bowbowbow at optushome.com.au
Fri Nov 2 00:28:59 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 08:03 -0700, Jon wrote:
> Owen Townend wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 21:32 -0400, MARTIN ESCOTT wrote:
> >> I love Gutsy Gibbon installation & want to delete Win2K & also devote
> >> entire hard drive to Ubuntu 7.10. Please advise! Thanks
> >> mpescott at verizon.net
> >
> > Hey,
> >   The most straightforward way to do this is using 'gparted' which is on
> > the Ubuntu live-CD. System->Administration->Gnome Partition Editor
> > This will allow you to delete the win2k partition and resize the Ubuntu
> > one to fill the space. This is GUI driven and intuitive. Once done,
> > you'll need to update the boot manager. From the live-CD command line
> > enter the grub prompt:
>
> One thing to add: don't reboot between running gparted and running grub
> - your existing Windows boot sector will be pointing off into empty space.
>
> I'd be tempted to run grub first and gparted second. Can't think of a
> downside to doing it that way around.
>
> Jon

Hey,
  I wouldn't run grub first, as depending on where windows was installed
the gparted operations may involve delete, move, extend as so:
(sometimes delete, copy, delete, extend)

  (hd1,0)     (hd1,1)    (hd1,2)
[--windows--][--linux--][--swap--]
     ^-delete   ^
       <--move--^
 v-----extend---------v
    (hd1,0)               (hd1,1)

  I've done this in the past and been bitten.
  Though if you do get it wrong it is easily fixed by re-running grub
from the live-cd.

cheers,
Owen.