IM Clients

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Thu Nov 1 22:33:59 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 12:04 -0400, John Dangler wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 11:49 -0400, Matthew Nicholson wrote:
> > Rumor has it, Gtalk will shortly let you talk across
> > networks/protocals....
> Meaning that gtalk users can msg people on other protocols?
> Or that if I have a gtalk account I can msg people on other protocols?

Yes, I would be very interested in know how that could possibly be
implemented. After all, each of the major IM systems is closed because
they actually want you to get an account on their system, otherwise
you'd be of no (or little) value to them.

Now, if everyone used Jabber (like GoogleTalk and others use), we'd all
be set, since all jabber servers can (in general) talk to each other.

So yeah, just get an account on each IM system you want to be able to
chat on, and use pidgin (or kopete or wengo or whatever) to talk over
each system. (I think myspace and skype have yet to be integrated, yet,
though).

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
http://picasaweb.google.com/demiri.head.wedding