Feisty Meta physics

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu Nov 1 19:21:18 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 23:49 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> but iirc, that's just a function of aliasing in /etc/modprobe.d/ - so they
> can really be called anything.  It would just get really confusing if you
> called a wired NIC "wlan0" :-)

I guess that's all true, but the exercise was just to find out what
exactly Carl meant :)

> Is eth0_rename actually a working device?  I got one of those, too (when I
> installed Feisty), and it was completely broken.  I just removed everything
> from /etc/iftab, and they went back to predictable values.

I think it's weird, but it didn't hurt so far. In fact, a few changes
late in the dev cycle meant that for the first time it works reliably,
ever.

What's /etc/iftab? I don't have it, and would be surprised if I ever had
such a directory (?) in any distro.