Development tools

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu Nov 1 10:42:18 UTC 2007

> I realize that most software for Linux/Ubuntu written using C++.
> Any popular development tools that being used on Ubuntu?

Hi,

I am not an expert (I will let the pros elaborate), but I thought that C
++ was not used in Ubuntu. I thought the whole of Gnome (hence most of
Ubuntu by that fact...), was written in plain C, not C++, and that as
far as the Ubuntu specific developement work is concerned, I gathered
that Ubuntu has a strong preference for Python, and for low level
stuff, C again, not C++. I think the kernel itself is also in C not C++.
The only major piece I know of that's in C++, is KDE... if memory
serves me right. But since Ubuntu comes with Gnome not KDE, that's not
really relevant to your question, which was about plain Ubuntu.

As for development tools, you have got all you need in a default Ubuntu
install: Gedit or to write the code, and the GCC tool chain to compile
your magi code.
If you want a GUI IDE, I many people talk about "eclipse", also heared
about Geany, there is also "Anjuta"... whatever fits you best.
Others will say that emacs rule... you don't need to try hard to start
flame wars on this subject ;-)

I guess it all depends on what kind of applications you want to develop
(GUI, terminal based, or UI less (daemon for example), if you prefer
using the keyboard or mouse, how large/time consuming your project is
going to be (that is, how much time can you eventually afford to spend
leanring news ways/tools, if that gives you an advantage on the longer
term).

PErsonnally, also I do program a bit, I develop for 8 microcontrollers
(Atmel AVR), not for the host computer/Linux. My programs are therefore
a lot smaller than most GUI projects on Linux, so I don't have the need
for emacs lke hardocre Linux programmers do.
I use Gedit (with a few plug-ins) to write the C code (though it's a
bit buggy on my machine, and am tempted to move to Geany which appears
to "just work", and is more focused on development). I also us ea
terminal window with a few tabs, for the rest of the process: one tab
for compiling with gcc (well, the AVR port of it obviously, but works
just the same), another tab to control the program that interact with
the target hardware, and another tab for Subversion whenever I have a
piece of code worth commiting, or I need to roll back when I screwed
things up ;-)

HTH

--
Vince