LANG variable and language switching

Milos Prudek prudek at bvx.cz
Thu May 31 08:33:17 UTC 2007

Hi,

With default installation of Kubuntu, gimp runs in English although the
language has been switched to Czech in GUI configuration.

In a terminal program, using "export LANG=cs_CZ.utf8;gimp" results in correct
behavior - Czech GIMP.

When "export LANG=cs_CZ.utf8" is added to ~/.bashrc, GIMP can be started from
the command line - but not via the GUI menu (KDE Kicker start menu).

I want GIMP to start when selected via GUI and I could hack it by editing the
GUI menu, but I am surprised that "export LANG=cs_CZ.utf8" added to .bashrc
does not change GIMP to Czech....

In which file should I add "export LANG=cs_CZ.utf8" so that it is respected by
applications started via GUI instead of the command line?

--
Milos Prudek