Rename external HD

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu May 31 01:26:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 14:53 -0800, Bob Cortez wrote:
> What's the best way to rename the hard drive to a ubuntu 7.04 friencly
> name? I tried using the properties field in the gui but got 'you don't
> have permissions' error.

You may be able to do it by starting an instance of the file manager
with Alt+F2 to bring up the run dialog, then run "sudo nautilus
--no-desktop".

Or use Alt+F2 or a terminal and run "sudo mkfs.ext3 -L <name>". Read the
man page, either with "man mkfs.ext3" in a terminal or via menu System|
Help and Support|Adanced Topics. This is assuming that you have an ext3
filesystem on the disk. If not, try the section SEE AlSO in "man mkfs"