Extracting Files and / or Copy files

Andy stude.list at googlemail.com
Wed May 30 19:50:35 UTC 2007

On 30/05/07, Jan Sneep <jan at azureservices.ca> wrote:
> I can extract the file I need to my desktop, but it won't extract to the
> /opt/open-xchange/lib folder because I don't have permission.

The program needs to be root
type in a terminal:
gksudo file-roller

then it should extract anywhere

> I have looked in the help to find out how to change the permissions for that
> folder, but going though the File Browser and selecting the Properties and
> then the Permissions tab, it shows "root" as the owner, so I can't change
> the permissions.

you can use 'sudo chmod' to change permissions the command line way
but it is a very bad idea to do this for places that should only be
accesable to root

> Then I thought I would try and copy the file from my
> desktop to the lib folder in the terminal window, but "copy" isn't a
> recognised command.

No it isn't.
the command you want is probably 'cp'.

> So how do I either ... login as "root"
DON'T

>... or give Extract sudo permissions
as above

> ... or what is the equivalent to the old DOS copy command???
Didn't use old DOS but I assume cp (as above).

You could also use command line tar
sudo tar -xvzf /path/to/my/file.tar.gz -C /path/to/the/folder/to/extract/to/

x = extract
v = verbose (tells you the files it's extracting)
z = use gzip compression (or decompressoim)
f = File to extrtact should follow
C = use that directory for extracting into

Hope that helps

Andy

--
First they ignore you