Repair Grub Files?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed May 30 01:11:54 UTC 2007

On Tue, 29 May 2007 22:01:25 -0300
Phil Pinkerton <pcpinkerton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why not just type su -
> enter the root passwd
> then vi /boot/grub/menu.list
>
> edit the file save it and your done ?

Because by default there is no root password in Ubuntu ? ;-)

Of course,

sudo vi /boot/grub/menu.lst

would be fine...

I assume the idea was to use a graphical editor, in this case, though.
As i said in my "Oops!" post, I'm puzzled as to why the "sudo su" approach
work at all.... and even if startng an X app in a user's session "works",
i would have expected ~/.ICEauthority to end up owned by root, and the
user to be locked out on next login attempt.

Something to do with environment not altering with sudo su? I hope
someone can explain this to me...

Peter