JPEG --> PDF (Solved)

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Wed May 30 00:47:49 UTC 2007

On 05/29/2007 03:51 PM, Michael T. Richter wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-29-05 at 23:41 +0900, Craig Hagerman wrote:
>
>> I just found another relevant app. Look at jpeg2pdf. Apparently it
>> does exactly what you want to do and it is cross platform.
>

> This, indeed, did the trick.
>
> Using gThumb was not a good option in that it really didn't scale well
> to a thousand pictures.  Using jpeg2ps -> psmerge -> ps2pdf would have
> worked but for one small problem: psmerge is very picky.  It didn't like
> the fact, for instance, that one of my pages was in colour and the next
> in grayscale.  Nor did it like it when I had the occasional landscaped
> page even after I took out the few colour pages.  Psmerge works fine,
> but only if each image is identical in several key aspects (size, colour
> format, orientation, etc.).  If I had more regular pages, the pstools
> approach would have worked too.
>
> Jpeg2pdf, however, did it all, did it in one step and had no problems
> with the occasional differently-formatted page.

jpeg2pdf is indeed a cool tool :-) I wonder why it is not included in
the repos somewhere (particularly when pdfcrack is...). Anyway, you
might also want to have a look at pdftk now that you have a thousand
page PDF file. Note: I've not tried pdftk myself.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/text/pdftk
 http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/