Need e-mail client to access an Exchange server.

Adam McGreggor lists at amyl.org.uk
Sat May 26 22:21:32 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 05:44:01PM -0500, Chris wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2007 15:34:14 -0700
> George Farris <farrisg at cc.mala.bc.ca> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2007-25-05 at 17:42 -0400, JD wrote:
> > > I use Evolution.  Just select "Exchange Server" as the server type.
> > > Then fill in the OWA address of the server.  The rest is academic...
> > > Works fine.  However, I can't get the corporate address book to
> > > work, so if you get that part, let us know... I'd love to have both
> > > working
> >
> > I've done this at the College as well and also haven't been able to
> > get the address book to work.  I have got it to work on a test
> > network where everything is on the same network segment, but that
> > doesn't help.  In that case Evolution just found it, wouldn't display
> > lists of contacts but would search and fill in the To: line.
> >
> > I would love more info on this as well.
>
> Although I have setup T-bird within the company network to access the
> Global Addressbook - I have not tried this over the net. If it fails
> (and I'll try this over the weekend) installing a public LDAP server
> may be needed.
>
> Search Google on Thunderbird and LDAP for the idea of how TB gets
> configured. Setting up the LDAP server may be something else.

Firewalls blocking/restricting external LDAP access springs to my mind;
throw nmap(1) at the exchange box, and see if the ports are open (if
they are, you might want to then try ldap utils on the directory).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/176466 seems to be the "technical"
KB article (and if that's 'in-depth', I'm really pleased I rarely
use the KB these days)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278339 is a ports-only listing.

Untested; I can't be bothered connecting onto an exchange box at the
moment.