Data partition sharing between Ubuntu & WinXP

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 25 15:05:13 UTC 2007

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>> If you ever want to be able to hibernate/suspend, you will need between
>>> 1.5
>>> & 3GB of swap.  Otherwise, no Linux doesn't _need_ a swap file/partition
>>> at all.
>> Hibernate/suspend, no. Sleep, probably enable that, simply for power
>> saving.
>
> That doesn't touch swap space, so it doesn't matter.

	Actually, the comment about using sleep instead of hibernate comes from
the fact that it _seems_ (to me) like hibernation has more issues than
sleep.

>> As for not needing swap space, I'm confused. When did that change? Or
>> have I just completely mis-understood the point/need of swap space?
>> Which is quite possible...
>
> It's never changed afaik.  I have fairly often, in the early days of
> hibernation support, ended up starting a system without swap (the
> hibernation process could corrupt the swap partition) and not noticing
> until the system started to get really slow.  As far as the running system
> knows, swap is just more memory.  If you run without enough memory,
> processes can be randomly killed.  If you use a swap file, it's less likely
> to happen.

	Confusion on my part then, I guess. Probably from back in the days
where machines generally never had enough RAM for what people were doing...
	But since I very likely won't miss the space and it won't hurt
anything, I might as well use swap, as a preventative measure.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,