Data partition sharing between Ubuntu & WinXP

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Thu May 24 07:15:15 UTC 2007

Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> (well, assuming the SATA drive gets marked as sda, but that's neither
> here nor there...)

They'll probably all be sd*

> 	Software RAID mirroring and/or LVM won't work, since WinXP wouldn't be
> able to read the data.

Are you sure you don't want to buy a hardware raid controller?  That
could be worth it?

> 	At first, I figured the data drive would all be Fat32 using rsync. I'd
> also like to figure out a way to compare files, to see if maybe one got
> corrupt.

There's always diff , but I'm sure there are better ways.

> 	Then I though about using ext3 on the Data partitions, since there is a
> utility for mounting ext3 drives in WinXP (as ext2). I'd be in Ubuntu
> most of the time. But what about WinXP screwing with the ext3 filesystem?

I don't think that will be a problem, unless the ext2 driver is bad.

> 	Or there is the option of having ext3 on the main, and ntfs on the
> backup?

That would work if you use rsync, but I really think hardware raid is a
better choice.  If you go the rsync route, choose a Linux filesystem,
and do all backing up and restoring from Linux (which has better
recovery disks).

Matt Flaschen