DHCP name announcement

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed May 23 15:32:37 UTC 2007

Jonathan McLoughlin wrote:

> I cannot be sure but IMHO
>
> your DNS server on your router is simply only a DNS relay in that it
> answers the inside requests for internet addresses, it does not have
> any of its own records for machines that are inside. I have not seen a
> standard home router work in this fashion although with a modified

Funny.  Though I don't have a huge amount of experience with them, I haven't
seen a home router that _didn't_ work in this fashion.

> firmware from something like DD-WRT I believe this can work

> You XP is doing netBIOS broadcasts of its hostname and thus getting
> resolved from within the LAN.

If, in fact, that's what's happening, I believe it's as simple as
configuring samba (/etc/smb.conf) to be a WINS client.

However, first, I'd want to try "nslookup <host>" from a command line on the
XP box.  I'm betting the router really does know its name.

--
derek