DHCP name announcement

Jonathan McLoughlin jonathan.mcloughlin at gmail.com
Wed May 23 08:48:25 UTC 2007

I cannot be sure but IMHO

your DNS server on your router is simply only a DNS relay in that it
answers the inside requests for internet addresses, it does not have
any of its own records for machines that are inside. I have not seen a
standard home router work in this fashion although with a modified
firmware from something like DD-WRT I believe this can work
You XP is doing netBIOS broadcasts of its hostname and thus getting
resolved from within the LAN.
I believe you are going to need to look into a name resolution
solution on your network