Strange USB Scaner Problem

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Tue May 22 19:36:25 UTC 2007

On 05/22/2007 11:43 AM, norman wrote:
>> I think others have asked, but don't recall seeing an answer; what
>> scanner model do you have, what program are you using for scanning, and
>> what (if any) sane backend are you using?
>
> The scanner is a Canon Lide 20, XSane image scanner as in Applications,
> Graphics. I know nothing about backends.
>
> Norman

Thanks. The backend version will be listed in Synaptic as libsane - most
likely you are using 1.0.18-3ubuntu1.

You could always try the actual sane backend for your scanner:

http://www.gjaeger.de/scanner/plustek/
http://www.gjaeger.de/scanner/downloads/plustek-usb-0.51-14.tar.gz

Be sure to read & follow the instructions in:
http://sane-project.meier-geinitz.de/man/sane-plustek.5.html
easier to read:
http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man5/sane-plustek.5.html

Vendor CANON - ID: 0x04A9
USB Model:         ASIC:  Properties:              Prod-ID
CanoScan LIDE20    LM9833  600x1200dpi 48bit 512Kb 0x220D

Make sure to put your scanner ID info in /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf:

       [1]     [2]
[usb] 0x04A9 0x220D
device /dev/usbscanner

[1]=vendor ID
[2]=product ID

**Note** you might try the above in the plustek.conf before installing
plustek-usb-0.51-14.tar.gz just to see if that works. If it does then
fine, if not then install plustek-usb-0.51-14.tar.gz and see if that
works. Also see: http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man5/sane-usb.5.html

Also: make sure that you have your username in the scanners group:
System|Administration|Users and Groups|Manage Groups|scanner

And see if that works.