ssh root login in Feisty

Toby Kelsey toby.kelsey at gmail.com
Tue May 22 14:56:57 UTC 2007

Mitch Contla wrote:

> Are you sure? That seems odd. Make sure you are reading the man page for
> sshd, not ssh.

My fault, you're right.  I had openssh-client installed but not openssh-server.
Not finding it in the ssh and ssh_config manpages, and /etc/ssh/ssh_config made
me think the option had gone:

$ grep -i permit /etc/ssh/ssh_config
#   PermitLocalCommand no

$ man ssh_config|grep -i Permit
Reformatting ssh_config(5), please wait...
              permitted (both on the command line and in HostName specifica‐
              directive is ignored unless PermitLocalCommand has been enabled.
      PermitLocalCommand

PermitRootLogin is only mentioned briefly in the ssh man page:

$ man ssh|grep -i PermitRoot
      file (see below) and the PermitRootLogin server option.  The following
      “jane” and on the second device from user “john”, if PermitRootLogin is

which I missed. Sorry for the false alarm.

Toby