display manager question

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue May 22 03:10:47 UTC 2007

On Mon, 21 May 2007 21:58:22 -0400
Paul Kaplan <pkaplan1 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Does anyone know of something equivalent to WinXPs fast user switching
> interface.  I'm envisioning some sort of uber-interface/screensaver/display
> manager that appears after booting, a few minutes of inactivity or logout,
> accepts a username and password, and then directs the user to their own
> virtual terminal.
>
> It would make the family's transition to *buntu a lot easier than the kdm/gdm
> login screen on a single virtual terminal.

I think you are describing "gdmflexiserver"  ( that is the command - it is
present by default) You can check your menu entry for it by opening the
menu editor ( right click the Applications Menu and choose the Menu
Editor) You should find it under "System Tools" as "New Login" - tick the
box.

To change users, just use that entry, and the new user logs in through gdm.
On logout from the new user's session you should be returned to a login
prompt for your user,  to unlock the original Gnome session.

Note that this will not currently allow you to log in twice as the
original user: - but a new user can log in without issues.

Peter