DVD Screen Shots

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Mon May 21 02:30:51 UTC 2007

drew einhorn wrote:
> I want to take a screen shot from a dvd.  I've tried several tools but
> instead of a frame
> from the dvd I get is a solid blue image.  Sometimes its transparent
> and I can see through it to what's behind the window.
>
> Have not yet found something that actually gets me a single frame from the DVD.

All the DVD playing programs, xine, mplayer or vlc, have a snapshot
feature for just such on occasion.  In Gxine, pause the movie while it's
playing, right click on the movie, File Menu, and Snapshot.

I can't quite figure out how the VLC one works. sorry.

If you want to capture your entire desktop, including a movie, you have
to change the DVD playing program's output to something other than XV...
I think xine offers an Xshm video driver that will work.