MPlayer hangs when trying to play a DVD.

Nicholas Kline kakster7 at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 20 02:38:06 UTC 2007

Greetings,

First, some background information...

System Specs:
-------------
-Dell Latitude D820
-Intel Core 2 Duo
-Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Dapper Drake
-Kernel version 2.6.15-28-686
-MPlayer version
2:0.99+1.0pre7try2+cvs20060117-0ubuntu8

How I installed MPlayer:
------------------------
1.) I added the following two lines to
/etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper universe
multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper
universe multiverse

2.) I then installed MPlayer through Synaptic using
the search term "mplayer".

What I'm trying to do:
----------------------
I am trying to play an official copy of The Lady
Killers DVD in MPlayer.
The process I am using to try to play the DVD is...

1.) Insert DVD
2.) Totem auto-starts and complains it can't read the
DVD
3.) I close Totem and then start MPlayer (Applications
> sound & video > MPlayer Movie Player)
4.) I then right-click on the MPlayer Video window and
select DVD > Open Disc
I have also tried: Open > Play DVD
5.) MPlayer freezes and cannot be closed

Before I go switching to another video application, I
would like to figure out why MPlayer is crashing when
I try to play a DVD. This is a legit, readable DVD
which I have played many times in the past on other
operating systems.

Please let me know if I should provide anymore
information to aid in troubleshooting this problem.

Thank you for your time,

*Nick*