ati x1600 problem

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Fri May 18 15:53:17 UTC 2007

Hi all,
I've got a laptop with the ati x1600 video card, and I'm trying to get the
card working properly. I know it is not working since some opengl
screensavers are not playing well and the xdriinfo reports:

[luca at fluca:~]$ sudo xdriinfo
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
Screen 0: not direct rendering capable.

I've installed the driver downloaded from the ati website and I run:

sudo aticonfig --initial --overlay-type=Xv

and now my xorg.conf file reports (main sections)

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
        InputDevice    "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
        InputDevice    "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
        InputDevice    "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
        InputDevice    "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Option         "AIGLX" "true"
EndSection

Section "Module"
       Load  "i2c"
        Load  "bitmap"
        Load  "ddc"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "int10"
        Load  "vbe"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]"
        Driver      "fglrx"
        Option      "VideoOverlay" "on"
        Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]"
        Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]"
        Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode         0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

but even after rebooting the X server (and the machine for sake) I got no DRI
accelaration:

[luca at fluca:~]$ fglrxinfo
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.4 (1.5 Mesa 6.5.2)

I've cheked the logs and I found a single line suspect:

(EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable

but I'm not sure this represents the problem. Does anybody knows how can I set
up the DRI on the video card? I'm using xserver 7.2, kubuntu 7.04.
Thanks,
Luca