Installing .deb packages with apt-get

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri May 18 13:27:55 UTC 2007

debian wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 06:53 +1000, Peter Garrett wrote:
>>
>> My experience has been that apt-get and aptitude do not screw up.
> --
> apt-get has never screwed up..never, not in the times that i have used
> it. i swear by apt-get.

I swear by apt, too (not apt-get - it's just one of the suite), but I think
you & Peter haven't been pushing it to its limits :-)

I've fairly often managed to confuse apt to the point where "aptitude
install" (or "apt-get -f install", if you really prefer) causes it to want
to back out much of my system.  After a few hours of
remove/install/remove/reinstall, it starts to behave.  That won't happen if
you stick to genuine ubuntu repositories and never install anything
directly via dpkg, ime.
--
derek