RAID Set

ruscook ruscook_oz at yahoo.com.au
Fri May 18 09:13:51 UTC 2007

In principle easy Ryan.
Step 1 add new HDD
Step 2 set up the partitions you want as mirror sets with 1 driver (SDA)
missing
Step 3 rsync ALL data from each partition on /dev/sdX to /dev/mdX (your
raid set)
Step 4 CONFIRM everything is ok
Step 5 use fdisk to create a copy of your partitions on /dev/sdb on
/dev/sda (note this has now deleted ALL old data on /dev/sda)
Step 6 add each partition on /dev/sdX to /dev/mdX
Step 7 enter "watch -n 5 cat /proc/mdstat" to watch the raid set rebuild
Step 8 all done.

As for making grub available on both drives I'm not an expert so haven't
got that bit down pat yet :-)

The above info is a synopsis of the making raid on existing system howto
from the Gentoo wiki howtos
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Migrate_To_RAID

--

Kind Regards Russell