Sendmail

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu May 17 18:51:41 UTC 2007

John L Fjellstad wrote:

> Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> writes:
>
>> This is because mutt purists insist that no mail program should ever
>> speak SMTP.  Crazy concept if you ask me...
>
> I know... write a program that only does one thing, and does it well.
> What a crazy concept.

It's not a valid argument - every mail user agent _must_ provide input to an
SMTP server in some manner.

It is as difficult to write a mail program to format it's output for
sendmail as it is to write it to use SMTP.  Given that Sendmail, itself, is
an SMTP server, why not just make the mail program talk to _any_ SMTP
server, rather than insisting that it may only talk to a local SMTP
program?
--
derek