Graphics card problem! HELP?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Thu May 17 14:47:17 UTC 2007

Michael Emberlin wrote:
> Andrew Syrewicze wrote:
>> Bart Silverstrim wrote:

>>> I tried the nvidia-glx and nvidia-glx-new from the repos, and tried
>>> Automatix2 (couldn't detect the card to identify), and I tried an
>>> application caled Envy (which apparently is what NVIDIA translates to?),
>>> but Envy couldn't ID the card, and then I tried Envy in manual mode and
>>> that didn't work either.
>>>
>>> Results varied from the white screen (which stuck if I didn't hit escape
>>> quickly enough) to X failing to start to complete black screen lockup.
>>> Each time I had to either boot to safe mode from GRUB or log in as an
>>> admin user and re-copy a backup of xorg.conf to the /etc/X11 directory
>>> and restart, after which it would work again sans extra feature.

>>> How new is the 8600?  That is most likely part of my problem.  Any idea
>>> if there is work being done to support it in the open-source world?
>>>

>> Your best bet may be to go to nvidia.com and download the driver from
>> there. I know that method is frowned upon in the debian world, but with
>> a card that new it may be your best bet.
>>
>> Anyone else on the list running that vid card???
>>

> You're best bet to see if your card is supported, is to browse through
> the list of video cards in the README file at
>
> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-9755/README/index.html

I didn't see it there, per se, but it might be out of date...the beta
driver on their site is
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_100.14.03.html

It says that the driver was just released on April 20th?  It looks like
it explicitly supports the 8600gt.

I will have to see that I try installing build-essential from Synaptic
and then figure out how to run Ubuntu without an X server running in the
proper init level before trying to install the driver, from the sounds
of it.  Can I just use a virtual terminal (ctl-alt-f2) and sudo gdm stop
to quit out of X in the background?

I guess I just didn't know how new this card is.  I'm really really
hoping that down the road I can upgrade and this card will actually be
fully supported...I just have no idea what the progress is that teams at
NVIDIA and/or Beryl/compiz and/or the OSS developers behind the
open-source NVIDIA drivers are making, and I have no idea who to email
or where to look to see if this is even being worked on.