Installing .deb packages with apt-get

Gabriel Dragffy gabe at dragffy.com
Wed May 16 15:35:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 15:13 -0600, debian wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 17:15 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > How does one install .deb packages with apt-get? I'd like to use the
> > package manager to install so that it's database will stay compete. In
> > Fedora yum has a localinstall option that installs an .rpm package
> > with yum instead of using RPM.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> >
> > http://lyricslist.com/
> > http://what-is-what.com/
> >
> heres whatcha do:
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install [package name]
>
> when installing the [package name] do not include the file extension
>
> HTH
> --cj

Dotan,

I don't think you can use apt-get itself. But you can certainly use
dkpg. The normal way of using it is "dpkg -i packagename" naturally you
will need root privelages, so switch user or sudo the command.

If you're using gnome you can right-click on a package file and there
should be an option "install with Gdebi installer" or something like
that, and even one for KDE too IIRC

--
Gabriel Dragffy FdA BA(Hons)

Websites by Gabe: