Cannot start Beryl

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed May 16 16:12:41 UTC 2007

On 16/05/07, Andy Harrison <aharrison at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/16/07, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > In order to get a GUI working at all, I had to use my old xorg.conf
> > from Fedora. My hardware (Dell Inspiron E1505/6400 with the Radeon
> > X1400) is known to be difficult, and none of the 'fixes' I googled
> > helped. Beryl was working, just barely, in Fedora, after _lots_ of
> > tweaking. I'd post the, but I've yet to configure wireless and I'm at
> > the university now.
> >
> > Which driver should I be using? That seems to be the key here. If
> > someone could explain the differences between the vesa, mesa, ati,
> > fglrx, and radeon drivers I'd really, really, appreciate it. Thanks.
>
> Can you post your xorg.conf file please?

Here, it's attached. I'm on a university windows machine so pasting it
would ruin the linebreaks.

Note that this xorg.conf file is real borked, now that I'm looking at
it. This is _not_ the original file that I salvaged from Fedora. This
is after I've tried twenty Howtos and scripts from people that have
similar hardware as mine. Note that _two_ video drivers are
mentioned...

With this xorg.conf I _can_ start Beryl, but I cannot enable any effects.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/