apt-get update fails

Avi Schwartz ubuntu-users874 at cfftechnologies.com
Wed May 16 04:29:42 UTC 2007

NoOp wrote:

> On 05/15/2007 08:17 PM, Avi Schwartz wrote:
>
>> NoOp wrote:

>>> You might want to try again or try a different archive location.
>>> Sometimes the archive locations get screwed up - particularly when there
>>> are updates available. BTW: what do you get if you download the file via
>>> http? For
>>> http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/feisty-security/main/binary-amd64/
>>> I get:
>>> $ md5sum *.bz2
>>> 0b94a05e11d154bc9b76c887962b862e  Packages.bz2
>>>

>> I have been trying for couple of days now with the same error.  The strange thing is that I am getting the same error on two different machine, one using Feisty amd64 and another Feisty i386. I have been running Edgy for a while before on one of the machines and I had no problem until I upgraded to Feisty. The other machine (the AMD64 one) is a fresh installation.
>>
>> When I download the file via http I get the same md5sum as you did.
>>
>> Are there other Ubuntu security repositories? How do I find them?
>>
>> Avi
>>

> Can you please post your /etc/apt/sources.list ?

Here you go:

#
# deb cdrom:[Ubuntu-Server 7.04 _Feisty Fawn_ - Release amd64
(20070415)]/ feisty main restricted

#deb cdrom:[Ubuntu-Server 7.04 _Feisty Fawn_ - Release amd64
(20070415)]/ feisty main restricted
# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
# newer versions of the distribution.

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty main restricted

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty-updates main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty-updates main restricted

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
## team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty universe

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
# deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty-backports main
restricted universe multiverse
# deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty-backports main
restricted universe multiverse