WIreless trouble

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sat May 12 15:47:05 UTC 2007

On Sat, 12 May 2007 18:11:47 +0300
Matthias Andersson <matthias.andersson at kotikone.fi> wrote:

> I have lost the grahpic icon for the wireless network (the two dots,
> gnome-network-manager) and haven't been able to recover the icon. I'm
> now unable to connect to my wireless network (using WPA) without running
> wpa_client in a terminal.
>

> I know this problem is trivial but it would be nice to get rid of the
> work-around.

Try running

nm-applet &

in a terminal. this should give you your network applet back...
If the network fails to connect when you enable networking from the applet,
try running

sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart

Once you have the nm-applet back, you can save your session in
System-> Preferences-> Sessions, and it should reappear on each GNOME
login.

Peter