hard disks chaos + dual boot install

das paagol at gmail.com
Fri May 11 02:59:58 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 16:24 -0400, Rashkae wrote:
> you need to edit the the /boot/grub/menu.lst file and add the
> following.
>     You need only save the file for the changes to take effect; no
> other
> steps are necessary.
>
> # For booting Windows NT or Windows95
>
> title Windows 2000
> map (hd1) (hd0)
> map (hd0) (hd1)
> rootnoverify (hd1,0)
> makeactive
> chainloader  +1

I have never tried this: it seems good. What came to my head was, making
the partition with the win2k OS as the primary one in the bios, and then
boot with any Linux CD/DVD and then install grub with grub-install (hd0)
and unhash those lines in menu.lst that are already there in
Ubuntu /boot/grub/menu.lst

But, this was an option that worked till 6.1 and in other distros too.
In 7.04 till now I could not make grub-install work. It is a question I
have already asked in this list, how grub is installed in the first
place in Ubuntu 7.04? Is it a problem for us who upgraded from 6.1 by
'apt-get dist-upgrade' or with fresh 7.04 install too?

Did anyone till now try the grub-install?

And does anyone have any good link to that 'label' thing in grub and
fstab?