Found a bug while writing CDs?

Michael S. Peek peek at tiem.utk.edu
Wed May 9 15:45:20 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I think I've found a bug, but I'm not sure what package this would be in
so I'm not sure how to search to find out if it's already reported or not.

Here's what I've got:

I have an ISO file on my desktop that I'm writing to a CD-R.
I insert a blank CD-R into the drive and wait for the "Blank CD-R Disk"
icon to appear on the desktop.
I right-click on the ISO file and select "Write to disc..."
The "Blank CD-R Disk" icon disappears, and the image is written to disk.
When writing completes, the disk is ejected and I am presented with a
choice to close or make another copy.

Here's where the error occurs, and it seems to depend on what I do next:

No error:
---------
I remove the freshly-written CD-R from the drive.
I replace it with a new blank CD-R and wait for the "Blank CD-R Disk"
icon to appear on the desktop.
I then select "Make Another Copy".
The disk is written and all is well.

Error:
------
I reinsert the freshly-written CD-R into the drive.
The disk is mounted, and I open a window to view the contents -- just to
be sure that writing took place correctly.
I eject the freshly-written CD-R disk from the drive.
I replace it with a new blank CD-R and wait for the "Blank CD-R Disk"
icon to appear on the desktop.
I then select "Make Another Copy".

--- And here comes the error: ---

The new blank CD-R disk is then ejected, the status message on the
"Writing Image to Disc" window changes to "Preparing to Write CD", and
then an "Error writing to disc" pop-up window comes up.

Had the disk writer not ejected the disk then I suspect all would be fine.

If I then re-insert the blank CD-R and try again, the same thing will
continue to happen.  The only cure is to select "Close" (instead of
"Make Another Copy"), and write my second disk by right-clicking on the
ISO file and selecting "Write to disc..."

This error only seems to happen if I mount and then eject a disk between
the first and second write attempts.  Something about mounting+ejecting
a disk seems to throw off the writer and make it think that it needs to
eject the new media before it attempts to write.  (This does not seem to
happen with CD-RW disks, only CD-R.)

Michael