grub.conf?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue May 8 14:48:18 UTC 2007

das wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 12:24 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> das wrote:

>> > How can I try menu.lst, the splash image debian-gnu.xpm.gz has to be
>> > mentioned in the grub.conf.
>>
>> Then you're not using the Ubuntu "grub" package.
>
> Oh, thanks to Nicolai Sphrer and Derek Broughton: mentioning it in the
> 'menu.lst' really worked. I can get the splash image now. Today I baked
> some fish with curd and ginger. It was excellent. Emailing quite a large
> portion for you two. :)

I wish!

> But, one problem still remains: how actually the grub is getting
> installed in Ubuntu? Tried 'grub-install' on
> all: /dev/hda, /dev/hda1, /dev/sda/, /dev/sda1, (hd0), (hd0,0). None of
> them worked. Not that I need it now, but, it was quite queer.  Do you
> know of any documentation on Ubuntu's way of grub? It has one
> peculiarity as you said, no grub.conf, only menu.lst. What are the
> others?

No, that's not really a peculiarity - about 10 years ago I was using grub
with menu.lst.  The difference is that "grub" as installed in Ubuntu (and,
I guess, Debian) is very old (v0.97).  To get the up-to-date grub that
other distros are using you need to install "grub2".  Anyway, as I said
before, I got those errors when I was trying to set up booting from an
LVM - it looks like it really doesn't understand your partitions.  How it
got originally installed is beyond me...

You would need to install grub-doc to get all the documentation.
Unfortunately, there's no grub2-doc!
--
derek