VMware + WindowsXP guest + license?

Jeremy Thompson jeremy.a.thompson+ubuntu at googlemail.com
Mon May 7 14:48:27 UTC 2007

On 5/7/07, Albert Charron <albert at albertcharron.name> wrote:

> Tomoki Taniguchi wrote:
> > Do you still need a new license even if I make the laptop completely
> linux
> > and the only copy of windows i will be running is under VMware?
> >

> Yes you need a new license.  As I said, the OEM license will only
> validate on the original hardware.  The EULA forbids you to transfer it
> to another "machine" (VMWare is considered as a machine here)...

I dual boot as well, but I havne't had these problems.  I was able to
purchase a OEM copy off a site a couple of years ago.  I think you might be
able to get one off newegg or other online site now.  I generally slipstream
my disks with the latest updates and all.

The site I've gotten most of this info has a link for it.  Here's a link for
the activation section which might help you -

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/29/SESSID=b2a2843ece8d9525184d231c9e153a43/

All in all this shows the strength of Free Software.

Good Luck!

JT