quick question

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Mon May 7 02:48:02 UTC 2007

On 05/05/2007 02:58 AM, CJ wrote:
>> I'm not an ntfs expert by any means, but I thought that the most
>> recent version of ntfs drivers from Windows is 3.1. In any event,
>> you can use ntfs-3g just fine.
>
> And just a note: ntfs 3.1 was used around NT4 days. Not like its
> unsupported, but ntfs 4 supports file compression and file
> encryption, im not sure if ntfs 3.1 does, ive been using FAT16/32 and
> NTFS 4 all my windows life.
>
> --cj

Got it. Finally dug out my Windows 2000 Adminstrator's Pocket Consultant
& sure enough, right there on page 261 shows a table with a features
comparison between NTFS 4.0 and NTFS 5.0. Checked the ntfs.sys files on
my Win2KP and WinXPP systems and they are NTFS 5.0+.

Looks like the info on:

http://wiki.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntfs

is entirely incorrect...
<quote>
NTFS 3.1 comes with WinXP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista.
 .
 .
 .
No version of NTFS > 3.1 is known.
</quote>

Thanks for the correction.

You still might give ntfs-3g a try:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions/ThirdPartyNTFS3G>
<quote>
For Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn):

All necessary packages (ntfs-3g and ntfs-config) are in the universe
repository. No extra repositories are required.
</quote>

Additional (good) info here:
http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu:Edgy#Windows
<http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu:Edgy#How_to_mount_Windows_partitions_.28NTFS.29_on_boot-up.2C_and_allow_users_read_and_write_access>