VMware + WindowsXP guest + license?

Albert Charron albert at albertcharron.name
Sun May 6 16:57:46 UTC 2007

Tomoki Taniguchi wrote:
> I have a dual boot winxp/linux system.
>
> My windows partition has a valid license that came preinstalled with my laptop.
> It has passed all license validation up to this point.
>
> I used the "VMware Converter" to create a copy of the "winxp environment".
>
> I then tried running the "image"  in vmware player under linux.
> The system starts up normally, but when I log in,
> Windows tells me i need a valid license.
>
> My laptop doesn't come with a Windows install CD.
> It came with a recovery DVD which contains an image of the
> of a preinstalled harddrive to save time.
>
> How can i solve this issue?
>
> TIA,
> Tomoki Taniguchi

Sadly, you can't use an OEM licences (licence that came with a computer)
anywhere else than on the PC it came with (As for Windows, it's
installed in a second computer when installed in VMWare).  You can't
even upgrade your CPU or Motherboard as Microsoft considers this as a
new PC.  It's not the case with retail licences which can be transfered
from one PC to another a couple of times.

  Albert Charron
  Linux Counter member #157482
  Registered computers: 195048, 164158, 279022, 323762