Nvidia nfroce 4 motherboard and forcedeth driver

Jamie Dobbs jamie.dobbs at ihug.co.nz
Sat May 5 22:11:24 UTC 2007

Jamie Dobbs wrote:
> I have noticed that my Gigabit ethernet runs about half as fast under
> Ubuntu  (approx. 1.5MB/s) using the forcedeth driver as it does in
> Windows using the Nvidia driver (approx 3.1MB/s). These figures are at a
> known network state copying the same files to and from the same location.
> Is there anything I can do to tweak the forcedeth driver or am I best to
> just give up and buy a better supported Gigabit card for using under
> Ubuntu?
> If I am best to purchase a new network card does anyone have any
> suggestions for a reasonably priced Gigabit card that will work reliably
> with Linux?

It turns out that the monitoring I was using appears to have been
scaling it's output.
The real issue here now appears to be that if I use FTP I get something
in the 30MB-40MB+/s mark but if using either Samba or NFS I get around
half this speed.
I've tried tuning the block size for NFS but this has made little to no
difference, I'd like to get the performance on par with that of FTP but
if I cannot I will just use FTP I guess.
Does anyone have any useful suggestions?