exim4:clamd:spamd

Robert Steinmetz rob at steinmetznet.com
Fri May 4 22:47:22 UTC 2007

Adam McGreggor wrote:
> On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 08:18:19PM -0500, Robert Steinmetz wrote:
>
>> I am configuring a Ubuntu email server using exim4, heavy and want to
>> add spam checking and virus checking for incoming email. I have exim4 up
>> running receiving mail and sending mail. I have dovecot serving imap and
>> pop3 successfully, but I can't seem to get the internal exim4 mail
>> scanner to scan the incoming mail.
>>
>> I have spamd and clamd running and they respond on the correct ports. I
>> have edited the template file and those changes are recognized. When I
>> run exim4 -bP and it recognized the location of the anti-virus and
>> anti-spam.
>>

> I hate the split-file config, so just use the old-fashioned, exim4.conf
> option.
>

>> When email goes through the spool nothing happens to it. The headers are
>> not modified. I should be getting something from both programs.
>>
>> I haven't made any changes to the update file, I haven't found any
>> setting to change.
>>
>> I'm obviously overlooking something,  any clues?
>>

> Check that you've got spam-assassin running as a daemon;
Yes I see spamd and clamd running.
>  and
> sa-exim/exiscan config'd properly. I got caught out with
> packages when I was trying this.

I'm using exiscan and I have it configured the best I can figure out
from the comments and from the documentation. I haven't found a single
sample configuration which uses that configuration. Most of the stuff on
the Internet seem older.

I'm pretty sure this is where my problem lies but I'm not sure what I'm
doing wrong.

I'm making progress though I now have it scoring the email and rewriting
the mail headers, but something is still not quite right.
> I tracked down the issues with 'tail -f /var/log/exim4/{mainlog,paniclog}'
> and checking my daemons log.
>
> http://www.pseudorandom.co.uk/2006/mailserver/,
> http://www.exim.org/eximwiki/ExiscanExamples and
> http://struction.de/projects/HOWTO_VirtualMail_Exim-MySQL-Spamassassin-ClamAV-Dovecot/?set_style=clean