KVM vs XEN vs VMware

Magnus Runesson mr-ubuntu at linuxalert.org
Fri May 4 08:11:39 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 04:32 +0900, Tomoki Taniguchi wrote:
> OK I started to follow the instructions on
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM
>
> I ran
> "sudo modprobe kvm-intel"
> and I got the following response
>
> FATAL: Error inserting kvm_intel
> (/lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/kernel/drivers/kvm/kvm-intel.ko):
> Operation not supported

As Henning pointed out, not all mainboard suport the virtualization.
(Which I also should have pointed out, but I always forget that there
are such stupid companies on the market). Check your BIOS if there are
any configurations that disables VT. It may also help to upgrade the
BIOS.

I think it was Lenovo, that from the beginning did not have support in
BIOs for VT. This was solved with a BIOS upgrade.

/Magnus

--
http://theworldofapenguin.blogspot.com