seeking JFS recovery wisdom

Scott Lockwood scott at guppylog.com
Thu May 3 17:49:56 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 13:34 -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
> 2. reinstall ubuntu and use my old /home partition.

This one. There's no way to know for sure that the system is 100%
otherwise from what you describe.

I don't think jfs is any better, or worse than ext3 for this. Use
whatever you like.

Also, if your system is un-swiss-cheesed enough, try to get the current
packages installed thusly:

sudo dpkg -l | grep ii

Or, for a version of the list that is JUST the package names, saved to a
file called pkglist:

dpkg -l | grep ii | cut -d ' ' -f3 >pkglist

That way, after you reinstall, you have the list of packages you need.

--
Regards,
Scott Lockwood