KVM vs XEN vs VMware

Jonathan Hirschman jonathan at hirschman.net
Thu May 3 15:41:01 UTC 2007

Tomoki Taniguchi wrote:
> I am curious about which of the the following virtualization options
> people recommend under Feisty?
> 1) KVM
> 2) XEN
> 3) VMware
>
> Please take into account I will be running this on a laptop with 1.5GB of RAM.
> Primary use will be to run WinXP
> I may want to use it to test other OSs (linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD)
>
> Is it possible to access and use peripherals which the host OS
> does not support

I only have experience with VMware, but it absolutely does allow you to
use peripherals that are unsupported by the host OS - as long as the
interface for the peripherals is supported. note that you might not get
great speeds from USB, but it does work.

If you're new to VMs, I'd go with VMware. It is very mature and fairly
easy to use. Once you have your feet wet, you can try out the other
options that may be harder to configure. My. $.02.

jh