Very confused as to what version of Java is in Feisty;(

John L Fjellstad john-ubuntu at fjellstad.org
Wed May 2 15:02:06 UTC 2007

Ghodmode <ghodmode at ghodmode.com> writes:

> When you have found the right one, just make sure it's the first one
> available in your path.  I think you'll find that the one in the path is a
> symbolic link.  So, you just need to change where that symbolic link points
> to.

You don't want to change the manually. You want to use the alternative
system to change it.  The alternative system (using update-alternatives)
will not only change the binary of the one you asking for, but also the
manual pages and associated files.

So, for Java, it will not just point /usr/bin/java to the version you
want, but it will also update the javac, jar etc links, but also the
associated manual pages to those files

--
John L. Fjellstad