Horrid fonts in Feisty

Michael sieverfrisch at yahoo.ie
Tue May 1 17:02:35 UTC 2007

Kirk Strauser wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 May 2007, H.S. wrote:
>

>> In your Desktop's Font preferences, is "anti aliasing" checked? If not,
>> try that.
>>

> It's not checked, but I really want to solve the root problem before adding
> adding more layers.

The only way to get fonts "right", I find, is to install the MS TrueType
core fonts, allocate the main system/Mozilla application fonts to them,
turn on anti-aliasing with full sub-pixel smoothing enabled, and install
Calande's fontconfig files;

wget http://www.osresources.com/files/centos-windows-fonts/fontconfig.tbz
sudo tar xvjpf fontconfig.tbz -C /etc/fonts/

In that way, fully-hinted MS fonts are rendered as sharply as in
Windows, whilst partially-hinted truetype fonts benefit from whichever
level of hinting you feel most comfortable with.

For this to work with Gtk+ apps in Kubuntu, I suppose you would have to
select 'Use my KDE fonts in GTK applications' in System Settings > Look
& Feel > Appearance > GTK Styles and Fonts. To make fonts presentable in
OpenOffice, it's necessary to alter the anti-aliasing threshold in
Applications > Office > OpenOffice.org Word Processor, Tools > Options >
OpenOffice.org > View from 1 to 14 pixels.

HTH,

Michael

PS I'm assuming here that the bytecode interpreter's enabled by default
in 7.04 (if not, it was certainly enabled after I ran sudo sudo
dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig !).