install trouble - hard disk?

Carsten Aulbert carsten at welcomes-you.com
Sat Mar 31 08:42:25 UTC 2007

Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> Mar Shal wrote:

>> Maxtor 6y120LO

>     Is that one of the new SATA drives?  I'm told that uses a special
> procedure, though I don't know what it is.  (My computers are
> 6-7YO)...ya might Google it or see the Wiki...

No that's a 120 GB PATA drive, so no problem from this side.

Although I have no direct clue what is wrong during the installation, my
suggestion would be to try the text based installer from ubuntu which
has never let me down (so far).

Another note: If possible, try to low level format the hard drive once
(IIRC maxtor has a tool on their home page which can check the harddrive
and perform a low level format). But please do this only, if you are
certain that all data can be erased from the disk!

My suggestion would be:

download maxtor tool/put it on floppy disk

run a drive fitness test on your hard drive

low level format

try the ubuntu alternate installer

HTH

Carsten