Shutdown from start scripts

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Sat Mar 31 08:21:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 10:15:07PM -0400, Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> > Any ideas what I am missing here?  How do I properly reboot from
> > a script in /etc/rcS.d?
>
> I'm not sure, but I believe this is by design, and is /not/ specific to
> upstart.

Thanks for the answer, Matthew.

What would be the benefit to design it this way?  There can be many
reasons not to continue the boot if fsck fails.  For example:

- I might not have the time to repair the filesystem right now.
- I might need some specific tool for the repair.
- I might want to restore the filesystem from a backup with a live-CD

In all those situations, I definitely do _not_ want the boot to continue
when I say "shutdown -r now".   This simply doesn't make sense, IMHO.