Network Manager and ADSL Dynamic IP

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Sat Mar 31 01:28:46 UTC 2007

On 03/29/2007 10:06 PM, L M Nicolosi wrote:
> A couple of days ago upgraded to Feisty and can't auto connect to ADSL
> provider anymore.
>
> Network Manager reports DNS correctly (probably from
> System/Administration/Network) but assigns an IP for a (non existent)
> local net such as: 192.168.1.10 / 192.168.1.63.
>
> After "poff dsl-provider" and "pon dsl-provider" in terminal, connection
> is restored and dynamic IPs are correctly assigned such as:
> 201.1.152.58 (local) / 200.100.11.252 (remote).
>
> Plog and Ifconfig confirm true net status.
>
> Network Manager keeps reporting active network but with the same fake
> local IPs.
>
> Kept  etc/network/interfaces trimmed to the minimum with no reference to
> eth, but it didn't seem to make any difference but clear the
> System/Administration/Network/WiredConnections option.
>
> Previous 6.10 version was working perfectly with pppoeconf.
>
> Did not find this bug reported anywhere. Maybe anything related to
> previous scripts left by 6.10 install?
>

> L M Nicolosi

Today's updates allowed me to remove network-manager and
network-manager-gnome _without_ uninstalling ubuntu-desktop. Apparently
they've been unbundled from the meta package.

Reconfigured my static wired IP's in System|Administration|Networking,
check to make sure all was working, rebooted (hard boot) and viola! all
of my networking works again at startup :-)