Clone iMacs?

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 13:18:04 UTC 2007

On 28/03/07, David Stubblebine <dstubb.mylists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is the iMac running Linux or OSX?  If the latter then try Carbon Copy
> Cloner:
> > http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html
> >
> > If it's running Linux, the there are a number of options:
> > dd
> > tar/cpio
> > cp -a
>
> The iMacs are going to be running Ubuntu Edgy.  Since I am more
> comfortable with a GUI, could I use my Macbook (running OSX Tiger) to
> image the Source Ubuntu iMac using CCC, then clone it to the Target
> machine?
>
> I know it sounds convoluted, but if it will work I'd be more comfortable
> doing it this way.

I don't think CCC will handle the boot loader correctly...
It's just using rsync anyway (Well psync, almost the same thing)

dd would work if drive sizes are the same. If the target is larger the
extra space would be lost.

tar/cpio/cp -a or rsync all would require partitioning and formatting
of the drives first, and booting from a live cd to fix the yaboot
record  (no grub or lilo on PPC boxes)

Mondorescue doesn't do yaboot afaik, maybe look at partimage
http://www.partimage.org/
I haven't used it but it might do what you want.

I'd appreciate finding out how you make out - I might be doing
something similar one day.

Brian